The answer is, I'm not.
And I'm asked this a lot, on Social Media, particularly when, as I'm very active on Twitter, I take potshots at politicians from all sides.
I'm neither Lib / Lab / Con, nor Socialist Workers Party (a common suggestion) or a Communist (a common insult) or an Unwashed Pinko Lefty (even more common!). I can't ever imagine being a member of a Political Party, subject to sudden expulsion whenever I might disagree with a policy. That's the problem - Parties are a collection of policies, ever changing, and unless you agree wholeheartedly with all of them, you're considered 'Not One Of Us'.
Broadly speaking, I'd consider myself a Left Wing Liberal Socialist Democrat. But I'll happily point out failures of the Labour Party and enjoy it just as much as when ridiculing the Tories and UKIP. So I remain happily outside the Party System.
I don't support Parties - but I do support values.
- Protecting and caring for our sick, our elderly, our disabled;
- Ensuring an end to discrimination of all forms;
- Allowing those who can work to find work that pays a living wage;
- Paying reasonable Benefits to those who cannot work, or who are on low wages;
- Allowing a certain amount of Immigration to fill gaps in our work skills;
- Allowing those even with extremist views to air those views, but to ensure they stay within the laws;
- Ensuring that those in power and authority are held to account at all times;
- Ensuring that the highest earners in our nation pay their full tax bills.