Friday, November 08, 2013

My 3-Year #Twitterversary - And My All Time #Follow List...

Surbiton, Surrey is leafy and green, and where I used to live was surrounded by trees. I always used to see so much wildlife that I was inspired to hang up a birdfeeder on a bracket right outside my rear window.

On this day 3 years ago, a mini-storm, much like the one we've just experienced, hit Southern England, and I was reading by the window when a friendly squirrel appeared, braving the winds, to attack the sunflower seeds. [Birdfeeder Tip: Fill with just sunflower seeds for squirrels!]




Sadly this little fella was hit by a particularly strong gust and was almost thrown clear, just managing to swing below the birdfeeder attached by one claw. Bravely fighting the winds, this little warrior clung on, righted himself and hit paydirt as, hugging the feeder, he gorged himself on the contents.

What has this to do with Twitter? Well, I thought the incident was worthy of a comment.... but to whom? And then I remembered this new-ish service where you could broadcast messages about almost anything. So I opened my Twitter account with this masterpiece ...

  • Jesus, this mini-storm is really hitting #Surbiton! Squirrel just got blown off my birdfeeder!
    — John O'Connell (@jdpoc) November 8, 2010

Okay. Not earthshaking, I admit, but I soon got the hang of it.

3 years on and I count myself a relative veteran. I've taught Social Media to Charities and Faith Groups, used it to campaign strongly on issues I care about, to promote events I'm involved with, kept in touch with old friends, and met plenty of new ones, both solely on-line and later in person. I've been insulted - and given plenty of it back.

Here, then, is my all time top follows list, in no order at all. (Note: If I follow you and you're not on it - you'll just have to try harder. :-)

The List

@EveThomas40 - Eve Thomas
  • Founder of #OneVoice : Never Silenced. Mum, Speaker #victimseducation. Leading a national domestic violence campaign with @ukbarrister David Malone.

    Writes about her own own personal story and the campaign to create laws to protect Safe Houses. See also @EvesLaw. Very worthy of your support.
@zenpencils - Gavin Aung Than
  • I turn famous words into purdy pictures. zenpencils.com

    He undersells himself. Gavin converts inspiring quotations and book passages into works of beautiful graphic art good enough to hang on your walls. Luckily, he also sells them.
@A Girl Called Jack ‏ - MsJackMonroe
@zen_habits - Leo Babauta
@NoonPacific - Noon Pacific
  • Weekly playlist of songs from the best blogs delivered to your inbox. Snap Crackle Noon Pop.

    As it says. Makes Mondays bearable when they post a playlist of stuff you like and stuff you never heard of but also like. Which is every week without fail.
@halfabear - Emperor von Bunnies
  • Genderqueer femme, pinko commie bastard, abrasive cripple and full-time misandrist. Probably NSFW.

    Always provoking and interesting stuff. Has a menagerie of animals and great camera skills, always a top combination. Eclectic.
@xeni - Xeni Jardin
  • @boingboing, journalist. Breast cancer isn't something I have, but something my body is doing. I tweet about this & all that my mind is doing. xeni@xeni.net

    Apart from Tech News, tweets in a very intelligent fashion about her ongoing battle with breast cancer.
@SonOfTheWinds - TrafficDroid
@AgnesCPoirier - Agn├Ęs Poirier
  • Journalist, writer and broadcaster.

    London-resident French broadcaster who regularly appears on BBC. Speaks well of us Brits, usually.
@carltonreid - Carlton Reid
@prodnose - Danny Baker
  • How Much Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth? Foulenough! Begone!

    The brilliant Danny Baker, Broadcaster, writer, musicologist and general good egg. Always funny.
@KrustyAllslopp - CallEineNow!
  • NOT the one off the telly ... Just an all round gobby girl ;)

    Always amusing and spot-on with political stuff. And a talented opera singer, too. Must try to catch her sing live one of these days.
@fashionworked - Fashion Worked
  • Fashion & Fashion Related Issues Tweets, You Spend A lot Of Time In Clothes, Love Them

    My personal fashion guru. Yes, fashion. Me. Not a natural fit, but I'm thinking of colours now.
  • Author, journalist, feminist, reprobate, gentlewoman of fortune. Contributing Editor, @Newstatesman. Writer - @newinquiry,@guardian, @ViceUK. Tea and sedition.

    The unstoppable Penny Red. Often criticised, always fights back. A must follow.
@WhitsonGordon - Whitson Gordon
  • Editor-in-Chief of Lifehacker. Orange juice enthusiast. Conflicted Linux/Mac/Windows geek. Heretical Christian. Metalhead. Dragon slayer. Tetris ninja.

    The man behind the genius that is Lifehacker - the best site on the web.
@Frances_Coppola - Frances Coppola
  • Associate Editor at http://Pieria.co.uk . Singer, teacher, financial writer, bank refugee. Rubbish housewife. I may not even have read things I RT.

    Despite her self-deprecating bio, if there's a financial story in the news, read her timeline. Common sense explanations and clear views of complex matters.
@GemskaF - Gemma Hibee
  • Loves Edinburgh. Armed Forces, politics and news. Hibernian FC, from the Capital. Pride and pain in equal measures. GGTTH.

    The maddest Hibernian fan ever. Very knowledgeable about football, passionate about the UK Armed Forces. Talks Scots sometimes. See also the heroes of @37_Commando.
@Puffles2010 - The Dragon Fairy
  • This mythical creature used to spend a lot of time in Whitehall, & now spends a lot of time watching from outside. Likes jelly bellies, pistachio nuts & Rioja.

    The Legend that is Puffles. Politics and Cambridge, mostly, with all sorts of stuff mixed in. Had the pleasure of meeting Puffles in London a while ago - but then *everybody* knows Puffles. And yes, Puffles is a baby dragon fairy. It's a long story.
@dexradio - Declan McGlone
  • Lots of #cycling tweets, I'm a fan of all forms of cycling and cycling related things. The occasional rant about other things too :-)

    Essential follow for a cycling fan, especially when a major Tour is on. Really knows his stuff.
@MCNnews - Motorcycle News
  • The inside line in motorcycling. Get the latest news from the world's biggest motorcycling website and paper.

    Well, I have to find out what bikes I can't afford somewhere...
@latentexistence - Tentacle Sixteen
  • I complain, I rant and I swear but people seem to think I'm nice. I have mutant mitochondrial DNA. A triumph of curry over adversity.#Spoonie

    Blogger, Campaigner on disabled rights, occasional TV star, and a fellow Linux and RaspberryPi geek. Jolly fine chap in person, too.
@jonobacon - Jono Bacon
  • Dad, Ubuntu Community Manager, Consultant, author of The Art of Community, founder of the Community Leadership Summit, and slightly mad Brit.

    Started with a brilliant cult British online Linux Radio show - LUGRadio, ends up (so far) as US-based Ubuntu Community Manager. Also creates pretty mean thrash metal.
  • Raising money and awareness, uniting against breast cancer! #MoonWalk

    One of my favourite charities, with whom I've been involved as a volunteer for three years.
@stephenfry - Stephen Fry
  • British Actor, Writer, Lord of Dance, Prince of Swimwear & Blogger. NEVER reads Direct Messages: Instagram - stephenfryactually.

    Because you can't not. It's practically the law on Twitter. The unofficial God of Tech, also, by the way.