On this day 3 years ago, a mini-storm, much like the one we've just experienced, hit Southern England, and I was reading by the window when a friendly squirrel appeared, braving the winds, to attack the sunflower seeds. [Birdfeeder Tip: Fill with just sunflower seeds for squirrels!]
Sadly this little fella was hit by a particularly strong gust and was almost thrown clear, just managing to swing below the birdfeeder attached by one claw. Bravely fighting the winds, this little warrior clung on, righted himself and hit paydirt as, hugging the feeder, he gorged himself on the contents.
- Jesus, this mini-storm is really hitting #Surbiton! Squirrel just got blown off my birdfeeder!
— John O'Connell (@jdpoc) November 8, 2010
3 years on and I count myself a relative veteran. I've taught Social Media to Charities and Faith Groups, used it to campaign strongly on issues I care about, to promote events I'm involved with, kept in touch with old friends, and met plenty of new ones, both solely on-line and later in person. I've been insulted - and given plenty of it back.
Here, then, is my all time top follows list, in no order at all. (Note: If I follow you and you're not on it - you'll just have to try harder. :-)
@EveThomas40 - Eve Thomas
- Founder of #OneVoice : Never Silenced. Mum, Speaker #victimseducation. Leading a national domestic violence campaign with @ukbarrister David Malone.
Writes about her own own personal story and the campaign to create laws to protect Safe Houses. See also @EvesLaw. Very worthy of your support.
- I turn famous words into purdy pictures. zenpencils.com
He undersells himself. Gavin converts inspiring quotations and book passages into works of beautiful graphic art good enough to hang on your walls. Luckily, he also sells them.
- Anti poverty campaigner for @OxfamGB & @CPAGUK. @Guardian food and politics columnist. @Mumsnet blogger. @PenguinBooksUK author.
Cooks pretty damn good, too. Inventive recipes and a bit of politics.
- Simplicity author, vegan, father, husband. http://zenhabits.net, http://mnmlist.com.
As one who tries to lead a minimalist life, this guy is the guru.
- Weekly playlist of songs from the best blogs delivered to your inbox. Snap Crackle Noon Pop.
As it says. Makes Mondays bearable when they post a playlist of stuff you like and stuff you never heard of but also like. Which is every week without fail.
- Genderqueer femme, pinko commie bastard, abrasive cripple and full-time misandrist. Probably NSFW.
Always provoking and interesting stuff. Has a menagerie of animals and great camera skills, always a top combination. Eclectic.
- @boingboing, journalist. Breast cancer isn't something I have, but something my body is doing. I tweet about this & all that my mind is doing. firstname.lastname@example.org
Apart from Tech News, tweets in a very intelligent fashion about her ongoing battle with breast cancer.
- See also http://www.youtube.com/sonofthewindsinc
The 'Droid' is a gentleman cyclist in London who highlights poor road use by videoing and publishing examples of appalling driving on YouTube. I wrote a piece about his musings here.
- Journalist, writer and broadcaster.
London-resident French broadcaster who regularly appears on BBC. Speaks well of us Brits, usually.
- Exec editor: http://BikeBiz.com & http://Bikehub.co.uk . Blogs: Quickrelease.tv, http://iPayRoadTax.com , & http://Roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com . Travel writer.
Cyclist or Cycling fan? This guy. No argument.
- How Much Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth? Foulenough! Begone!
The brilliant Danny Baker, Broadcaster, writer, musicologist and general good egg. Always funny.
- NOT the one off the telly ... Just an all round gobby girl ;)
Always amusing and spot-on with political stuff. And a talented opera singer, too. Must try to catch her sing live one of these days.
- Fashion & Fashion Related Issues Tweets, You Spend A lot Of Time In Clothes, Love Them
My personal fashion guru. Yes, fashion. Me. Not a natural fit, but I'm thinking of colours now.
- Author, journalist, feminist, reprobate, gentlewoman of fortune. Contributing Editor, @Newstatesman. Writer - @newinquiry,@guardian, @ViceUK. Tea and sedition.
The unstoppable Penny Red. Often criticised, always fights back. A must follow.
- Editor-in-Chief of Lifehacker. Orange juice enthusiast. Conflicted Linux/Mac/Windows geek. Heretical Christian. Metalhead. Dragon slayer. Tetris ninja.
The man behind the genius that is Lifehacker - the best site on the web.
- Associate Editor at http://Pieria.co.uk . Singer, teacher, financial writer, bank refugee. Rubbish housewife. I may not even have read things I RT.
Despite her self-deprecating bio, if there's a financial story in the news, read her timeline. Common sense explanations and clear views of complex matters.
- Loves Edinburgh. Armed Forces, politics and news. Hibernian FC, from the Capital. Pride and pain in equal measures. GGTTH.
The maddest Hibernian fan ever. Very knowledgeable about football, passionate about the UK Armed Forces. Talks Scots sometimes. See also the heroes of @37_Commando.
- This mythical creature used to spend a lot of time in Whitehall, & now spends a lot of time watching from outside. Likes jelly bellies, pistachio nuts & Rioja.
The Legend that is Puffles. Politics and Cambridge, mostly, with all sorts of stuff mixed in. Had the pleasure of meeting Puffles in London a while ago - but then *everybody* knows Puffles. And yes, Puffles is a baby dragon fairy. It's a long story.
- Lots of #cycling tweets, I'm a fan of all forms of cycling and cycling related things. The occasional rant about other things too :-)
Essential follow for a cycling fan, especially when a major Tour is on. Really knows his stuff.
- The inside line in motorcycling. Get the latest news from the world's biggest motorcycling website and paper.
Well, I have to find out what bikes I can't afford somewhere...
- I complain, I rant and I swear but people seem to think I'm nice. I have mutant mitochondrial DNA. A triumph of curry over adversity.#Spoonie
Blogger, Campaigner on disabled rights, occasional TV star, and a fellow Linux and RaspberryPi geek. Jolly fine chap in person, too.
- Dad, Ubuntu Community Manager, Consultant, author of The Art of Community, founder of the Community Leadership Summit, and slightly mad Brit.
Started with a brilliant cult British online Linux Radio show - LUGRadio, ends up (so far) as US-based Ubuntu Community Manager. Also creates pretty mean thrash metal.
- Raising money and awareness, uniting against breast cancer! #MoonWalk
One of my favourite charities, with whom I've been involved as a volunteer for three years.
- British Actor, Writer, Lord of Dance, Prince of Swimwear & Blogger. NEVER reads Direct Messages: Instagram - stephenfryactually.
Because you can't not. It's practically the law on Twitter. The unofficial God of Tech, also, by the way.