HMRC is no longer able to do it's job. Currently, UK big business are disputing a total of £25bn in tax – equivalent to a year's spending cuts.
The current Coalition Government is far too cosy with it's business friends to enact further tax legislation on them, let alone chase them for the tax they owe under current laws.
And the current 'chairpersons' of HMRC hardly fill us with confidence :
- Mark Haysom : Soft job on a uninportant Quango;
- John Spence : Former banker with the ailing Lloyds TSB;
- Sue Street : Advisor to Deloitte LLP, who advise businesses on tax evasion;
- David Gauke : MP and lawyer with no financial background;
- Lesley Straithie : Failed at Job Centre Plus, then failed at DWP.