Friday, August 06, 2010

Power Of The Human Mind ...

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

(source)

I think some people are just able to figure out what the word says. I know that’s what I do. I don’t really buy the whole “we dont read every letter” thing.


<Sigh>

I think some people are just able to figure out what the word says. I know that’s what I do. I don’t really buy the whole “we dont read every letter” thing.

That last comment misses the point entirely. The issue is HOW we are able to figure out the word without identifying the individual letters in the correct order.

Part of the solution is that in writing (or reading other peoples writing) we often create or come across typos, which we translate to the correct word by context.

Also, sentences are often a collection not of words but of phrases (‘as a whole’ ‘only important thing is’ ‘first and last’, etc) which are easier to identify from the grouping.