Monday, September 22, 2008

Roger Ebert’s 'Boulder Pledge' - An Anti-Spam Agenda, 12 Years On…

Film critic Roger Ebert’s reviews are compulsory reading for the Tinsel Town movers and shakers. However, I also regard him highly as one of the first people to take action against spam email. Back in 1996, Ebert created ‘The Boulder Pledge‘, a promise not to purchase anything offered through spam. Part of the pledge is worded by Ebert as follows:
Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online community.
Seems obvious now, doesn’t it? But I’d like to expand on it a little by adding this bit myself:
I also pledge not to purchase any goods or services brought to my attention via annoying pop-up windows, misleading Google paid-for listings, or (in real life) junk mail.
If I’ve missed anything… Let me know!